Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

36 Squares Done!

I've been working on this quilt for, ahem, about 15 years. The problem was that, although I had learned as a child how to do patchwork by hand and with templates, these squares were the first time I used a sewing machine, a rotary cutter, and quarter inch seams. So by the time I got to block 30, I realized that these 9.5 inch blocks (unfinished) were really anywhere from 8.5 to 10.5 inches -- and how could I possibly put them together with sashing? Not to mention my error in choosing 9.5 inch squares, necessitating a whole lot of them for a queen size bed . . . .

So the project languished for years, until it came to me (I don't remember how) -- frame each block with a border, and cut that to 12.5 inches. This would allow me to "fix" the sizing errors and would leave me with big enough blocks to make a decent sized top once I added borders.

By the end of last year I finished the last of the blocks, so last Friday I made use of the design wall at my quilt class to figure out the layout. I even sewed the blocks into rows. I'll put the rows together, add borders, and send it off to be quilted. The end is in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment