I made this years ago but only finished it now:
Quilting Arts magazine, back when they showcased more handwork, and had artists experimenting with different embroidery stitches. I took a package of Christmas-colored decorative threads and a piece of burlap, which had a low-enough thread count to accommodate the thick and varied strands. Then I set to work stitching sections of blanket stitch all over, threading ribbons through some sections, layering on more stitches, and adding a few blanket stitch wheels.
I've backed it with heavy-duty interfacing, delicate cream silk from and old slip, and then white felt to keep it stiff. And in a flash of inspiration two hours ago, I added two grommets at the top, creating a quick and interesting way to hang it.
I want to do more like this, especially with feather stitch -- that would lend itself well to a variety of textures and weights.