I thoroughly enjoyed making a knotted pearl treasure necklace. The inspiration was from one of The Beadshop's videos, and the first step was rooting through my jewelry box and bead supplies for the appropriate charms and pendants. It was hard to limit it to five! Deciding on the pearls was easier; I had a string of fresh water pearls with the slightest lavender cast waiting to be used for a special project. Once everything was decided, the necklace came together quickly.
Left to right:
A broken earring, from the late-90s trend of colored crystals and sparkly everything.
A fancy button I found on the street when I lived in Boston, and probably the closest I will ever come to owning something from Ferragamo. I miss Boston.
The pendant my father gave me the night before my wedding. It came on a gold collar but neither simplicity nor grey and gold were my style, so it languished. A few years ago I repurposed the gold collar to hold a cameo pendant and Mother and Child medal that used to belong to my mom and a white "pearl" pendant that belonged to my grandmother, making the collar a family affair and much more likely to be worn. I'm glad I've now found a place for my father's pendant, too. (No elegant, minimalist jewelry for me!)
A vintage French (I think) miraculous medal. This came from a tin of vintage notions from French General; they now mostly sell textiles and notions for quilts and other sewing arts, and I miss the jewelry kits they used to put together.
A gemstone pendant left over from the first iteration of my tiny, occasional jewelry-making business. I've been half-heartedly selling jewelry for a long time! I just can't bring myself to do any marketing and research to make a real go of it (there's a reason I became a lawyer, and then a librarian; I'm allergic to "business").

No comments:
Post a Comment