Search This Blog

Friday, March 10, 2023

Book Round-up

Other Birds by Sarah Addison Allen: Allen's latest, long-awaited (by me, anyway) novel is a delight. The writing itself was a little rough, but the story -- about lost mothers, found family, and grief -- made up for it, as did the ghosts and pesty little birds that plagued the characters' apartment building.

The Wailing Wind by Tony Hillerman: Next in the Leaphorn, Chee, and Manuelito mysteries, and a fitting choice for November, because the myth of La Llorona figures into the story. Which was both a murder to be solved and a heartbreaking love story.

[It looks like I never blogged the previous Hillerman books I read. Inspired by the excellent Dark Winds show last fall, I picked up a three-in-one volume of Hillerman novels: Leaphorn, Chee, and More. These books introduce Manuelito, whom I loved on the show, and all three were enjoyable, atmospheric mysteries. Another Hillerman novel -- Sacred Clowns, I think -- I read in college, and it was good, too.]

The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A.S. Byatt: Inspired by the movie 3000 Years of Longing (which I have yet to see), I reread Byatt's short story collection (the title story is what the movie adapts). These are elegant, literate stories that have the feel of fairy tales but are more complex and self-aware.

Half a Soul by Olivia Atwater: An unexpected delight -- Atwater's book is a mash-up of regency romances and fantasy, with a good amount of social commentary; the Faerie Court in particular effectively satirizes the hypocrisies of the time. 

Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey: Another book I read in law school and forgot all about. It's an accomplished-enough mystery set in a woman's college that's light on action and heavy on psychological characterization, but it was a letdown after the wonders of Cloud Cuckoo Land. An unexpected racist description didn't help matters.

1 comment:

  1. Some interesting choices. I am currently reading an ARC of a book called The Grief Nurse by Angie Spoto, fantasy with a sort of 1920s vibe for me.

    ReplyDelete