Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Advent Calendar Blog Hop

Welcome! It's that time of year for Jo's blog hop, and today is my turn. I don't have any cross stitch to show off yet, although I've picked out a few designs; a challenging fall meant I'm way behind all things stitchy. 

But I do have a tree! Which is Jo's theme this year! 

This wooden tree was originally part of a hand-carved Christmas card holder my late uncle made for me years and years ago. At some point someone (I never found out who) knocked it over, breaking it; the only salvageable part was one of the trees. I painted it green with a little silver mixed in, giving it a nice sheen, and wrapped it with a bit of wire and some clear crystals. You can't tell from this photo, but it has a nice sparkle, and I'm quite pleased with it. 

Jo asked us to talk about Christmas trees. I grew up on what used to be a farm in western Massachusetts, and for many years we just trekked to the far part of our property to chop our own pine down. It was lots of fun, but because it wasn't a tree farm we ended up with some wonky trees. One tree was gorgeous on one side, but almost bare on the other, so that was the side we put against the wall. Another tree had a distinctive curve in its trunk. A third had two tops, so that year we put on two stars. 

Now I live in New York, so we get our tree from one of the temporary vendors who set up shop all over the city (real trees might be more work, but the smell is divine). I can't show you our tree, because we haven't bought it yet -- we generally wait until the middle of the month to get one. Once it's set up and the branches settle, we decorate it with lights and ornaments: old and new, handmade and purchased. Then we sit back and admire our work.

Whether you have a real or fake tree, or no tree at all, I hope you all have a lovely and peaceful Christmas!

15 comments:

  1. Glad you have been able to keep a small part of your uncle gift. I remember when we bought a real tree how we turn it to find the better look and hide the wrong profile on the wall. Now I like the way lot of people make tree shape with wires, wood, ropes and so create imaginative trees. Joyeux Noël ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little tree, and it's a great way to remember your uncle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A shame that your special card holder was broken, but the tree you were able to save looks lovely.
    I love that you put two stars on one of your trees, not something you see very often!
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special and fun to have memories of cutting your own tree! I have never done that, but would like to! That is good to salvage the tree from your uncle's card holder. It looks like you will be able to enjoy it for many more years! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your wooden tree and the story of you getting a tree every year from the woods. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar this year. I love your wooden tree, such a nice way to remember your Uncle. I love the idea of chopping down your own tree each year, especially the one with two tops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have a keepsake from long ago! I have the best memories of tree hunting when our family was at full strength, all 6 of us. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your painted tree. I had a lovely visit today. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever girl, saving the tree and adding silver to the green paint! I totally agree about the heavenly smell of a living tree ... enjoy your Christmas season!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good that you were able to salvage some of your uncle's tree and make it usable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you were able to save your Uncle’s tree, it’s a lovely keepsake.
    It must have been so exciting living on a tree farm and being able to cut your own.
    Happy Christmas!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always had a live tree when we lived in New England area...now in Arizona it is artificial...miss the evergreen smell. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your wonky trees sound like fun - I'd love to see one with two tops, don't think I ever have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little tree is lovely and a wonderful keepsake. I enjoyed reading about your various trees. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete