Search This Blog

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Day of the Dead Necklace

All Saints Day and All Souls Day rushed by too quickly this year, but I did manage to make it to Mass, and I whipped up a charm necklace:

It started with a set of Tierra Cast Day of the Dead charms I had. Blueberry Cove Bead's DotD box had teal and marigold beads, which I picked up in a destash sale they held; I added a strand of purple beads. I had a collection of black glass beads with different colored lampwork flowers, so I used the orange, green, and purple ones. I also had tiny metal purple roses. A large painted skull bead, a smaller skull bead leftover from earrings I made a while back, and some ceramic bone-shaped beads I picked up who-knows-where completed the theme. While rooting around my stash, I found a Guatemalan worry doll all by his lonesome; his clothes matched the colors I was using, so I added him, too.

The necklace isn't quite done. I feel quite strongly that I need a yellow orange flower bead at either end of the charms, to more obviously represent marigolds. The marigold beads are round, though, and trying to weave them into a flower shape will look too clunky. I have glass flower beads that would be perfect, but they are just a bit too yellow. So I will wait for the perfect beads, and wear the necklace as is in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment