Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Beaded Rings

The April 2014 issue of Bead & Button had an intriguing pattern for "Basketweave Rings," designed by Nina Raizel; unfortunately, it did not work for me at all. For one thing, because of the way it is designed, the ring can only be made "approximately" size 5, 8, or 12, which is not a very useful range.  I wear an 8, though, so I thought it would work for me anyway.  So I constructed the base from hex-cut delicas:
The key word is "approximately" -- the ring was just a bit smaller than size 8, making it uncomfortable to wear, especially because it's such a tall ring; closing my hand squished the band on that side.  I didn't even bother making the strips to weave around it.  Instead I flattened it into a rosette, and will add to to my beadweaving screw-up/failure project.

The chevron ring from the Spring/Summer 2014 issue of Make it Yourself, designed by Claire Elizabeth, was a much more successful pattern:
It would be easy to customize the design, too, since it is a simple peyote band.

No comments:

Post a Comment