Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Cool Christmas


I finished stitching the "Cool Christmas" ornament from Fresh Threads Studio this week. Once I get back into the sewing room, I think I'll fold the edges under and attach it to a slightly larger piece of green felt. I really like the colors; as much as I love Christmas, I have never been a big fan of the red/green color combination. This year I am going to mostly use greens when decorating, so this should fit in.

On to the next ornament -- "dotty" by monsterbubbles, from the 2008 Christmas Ornament issue of Just Cross Stitch. The stitching is on fine copper mesh, using waste canvas to get the stitching lined up correctly:
As much as I love the use of non-traditional "fabric," sewing through the mesh is tricky, even with a fine, sharp no. 26 chenille needle. According to Heather Daly, the needle will be even sharper by the time I'm done. "But watch out, the needle you use to stitch on this copper mesh will be a teenie dagger when you are finished. Serious sharp. Hide, somewhere...your enemies will be so surprised."

I've found that punching holes in the mesh from the top before I sew up from the bottom helps:
The thread also keeps getting caught on the edges of the mesh, which are a little jagged; I should probably put masking tape on it. The ornament will look awesome once I'm done, but it is going to take a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment