Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Falling Leaves


Years ago, Quilters' Newsletter Magazine wrote about the Original Leaf Applique quilt made in 1890 by Corean Liggitt (1872-1946), including templates of the different leaves Liggitt used. Last year I realized I needed a fall-themed quilt for my wall (I love my tree, cat, and moon quilt, but that's not always the vibe I want). I pulled all my red, orange, and purple batiks and cut out one of each leaf shape, using fusible web to applique them onto a 12" by 18" center:

And then the usual Christmas stitching got in the way, including finishing the Minecraft quilt, so I put the project away. A few weeks ago, after a rather awful summer, I became determined to finish it. Last weekend I sewed up a bunch of maple leaf blocks:

Friday (a blessed day free from my usual obligations) I sewed them on as a border and quilted the whole thing around the center and between the maple leaf blocks. At a loss over how to quilt the center (I did not want the agony of more free-motion quilting), I opted to tie the quilt with embroidery floss and some sparkly beads:

Friday night and Saturday morning I bound the quilt (despite Porcupine's best efforts to prevent me).

I was done! And It makes me so happy to look at it. Fall is my favorite season, and I'm really hoping it's a good one this year; I could use some peace.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks amazing! I love all the colours, it's gorgeous! Awe, Porcupine is just adding some specialty fibers to it.

    ReplyDelete