Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Book Round-Up

Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman: I'm annoyed I spent money on this, rather than getting it from the library; it really wasn't very good. It's the first in yet another series of crafty cozy mysteries, this time centered around crochet. The mystery itself was fine, but the characters were terrible. I think the author was going for "flawed and relatable," but really they were just selfish, petty, and materialistic.

Get in Trouble by Kelly Link: her latest story collection, most of which have been published before. Link is one of my absolute favorite writers, and this did not disappoint. Her stories cover everything from space ships to superheroes to elves to futuristic technology, but linking (ha) all of them is the humanity of the characters. Whether you are in a pocket universe or a magical house, love, loss, pain, loneliness, and yearning are always there.

Possession by A.S. Byatt: Every time I read this book I find something new to focus on. This time around it's the use of color and Byatt's insight into people, and all the various ways we try to possess one another (get it?). This is one of the most intelligent, romantic, fascinating books I've ever read, and I can't get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment