An Ada Haydon design:
September/October 2010 issue. The tree was meant to be stitched on a specially painted canvas by Haydon, but it was too rich for my blood (and in fact I don't think the canvas is available anymore). So instead I used 18 count black canvas and threads I already owned (although I kind of wish I used purples instead of pinks, now). Mostly I kept to the stitches Haydon used, too.
The only problem area was the band with the bats -- the background stitching would leave a lot of the canvas exposed, and black bats on a black background would not have worked. Having painted canvas before, I thought I could paint this little band orange. But paint thin enough to not gunk up the holes barely stained the black threads. After three coats, this was the best I could get:
I stitched the bats anyway, but the background looked not great:
So I added the background stitching (not what I had originally intended) in strong orange threads, and that helped quite a bit: