Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Heartbreaking Project

A friend of the family was diagnosed with ALS in August; in late January he died. I made this for his wife:
The focus is a picture of them dancing at my wedding -- the look of sheer bliss on her face is beautiful. I printed the photos onto fabric ironed onto freezer paper for stability; the pictures are not as clear as I would have liked, and I wonder if there were printer settings I should have adjusted. The background is a patchwork technique from Fabric Art Collage, using fusible web to adhere different pieces of fabric to muslin. I ironed the embroidered photo fabric onto heavy duty fusible interface, for added dimension, and then sewed it onto the background with the machine. Bits of trim, painted lace, beads, and French vintage crosses finished the top, and then I sewed it onto wool felt. On the back is a prayer card for Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, a candidate for sainthood and someone the family prayed to throughout this last half year. I'm mailing it today with a Mass card and my condolences.

1 comment: