Search This Blog

Friday, November 10, 2023

Book Round-Up: Cozy Fall Edition

 Shady Hollow by Juneau Black: The delightful first novel in a cozy mystery series set amongst woodland critters. It reminded me quite a bit of Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas.

The Simplicity of Cider by Amy E. Reichert: This was basically a Hallmark movie in book form. Some aspects I liked, such as the protagonist's synesthesia, and other parts I didn't (therapy generally works better than the love of a good man).

The City Baker's Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller: This was a reread for me. It's also a Hallmark movie in book form, but with sex, alcohol, and messy relationships, which makes the inevitable happy ending more satisfying.

An Inquiry into Love and Death by Simone St. James: This was the perfect ghost story -- atmospheric, spooky, romantic, not too violent, and neither over- nor underexplained. I will be reading more of her books.

Still Life by Louise Penny: Another smart, melancholy Three Pines mystery? I've been reading this series backwards, starting with The Cruelest Month. But where do I go now? For real, I'll probably read no. 4 and maybe one or two others, but from what I've read the series has diminishing returns.

A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny: Zelazy's last novel (and supposedly his favorite) is a fun mash-up of various literary monsters who gather together to bring about, or maybe prevent, the end of the world. It's narrated by a talking dog, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment