Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Book Round-Up

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen: Yet another delightful and easy read, and a nice change of pace after The Shakespeare Wars. I did find the writing to be a bit clumsier than her other books, but I nonetheless enjoyed the heck out of it. One thing I appreciate about Allen's writing is that as pretty and gentle as a her books are, there is a genuine recognition of the suffering people endure in life. Her happy endings may be predictable but they are never cheap.

Buttons and Bones by Monica Ferris: I will keep buying these books as long as she keeps writing them -- I can't help it.  This was as enjoyable (if lightweight) as the others.  It should have been proofread by an editor more -- I caught some inconsistencies -- and the ending was a bit unsatisfactory, but I appreciated that the 70-year-old mystery was not completely wrapped up, which was a realistic touch.

Button Holed by Kylie Logan: This first volume in a new line of crafty-cosy mysteries centered around a button store got off to a rocky start. In an attempt to set this narrator apart (something I did appreciate), Logan gave her too much of an arch, jokey voice that got annoying quickly.  Once the actual mystery got going, however, the witticisms were toned down and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story.  The next one is already in my Amazon shopping basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment