Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2024

Book Round-Up

 The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood: This is part of the Canongate Myth Series, and is a novella retelling the Odyssey from Penelope's viewpoint. Penelope proves herself to be aware of the inequities of ancient Greek life, but all too willing to make use of those inequities when it suits her, leaving me feeling ultimately indifferent to her fate. Far more effective was the Greek chorus: the twelve maids killed by Odysseus, who intersperse Penelope's narrative with poems, songs, trial testimony, etc. Their voices were haunting.

Happy Place by Emily Henry: I didn't enjoy this one as much as Henry's other novels; a good deal of the angst and misery would  have been avoided if the characters had had honest conversations with each other a lot sooner. Beach Read is still my favorite.

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman: This is the delightful start to a cozy mystery series with a group of septuagenarians who solve murders. It was, by turns, poignant and funny, and I can't read to read the rest.

 The Man who Died Twice by Richard Osman: So I immediately got the second from the library! Osman does a good job balancing the silly (elderly Joyce's new instagram handle is @greatjoy69) and the melancholy (a random assault drastically affects Ibrahim). I will be requesting the next volume soon.

Stumptown by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth: What a pleasant surprise to find this in my local Little Free Library! It's a comic book series centered on Dex, a troubled private detective in Portland, Oregon. My husband and I adored the show not just for its acting and stories, but also the presence of Anselm, Dex's brother with Down Syndrome. I'm still mad they canceled it after one season.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment